Saturday, July 08, 2006

15 Days To Building A List - Day 3

Setting Up Your Website Or Blog

So you have your website host, and your domain set up (if you don't know how to do this refer to Day 2 of this series)

We're going to cover two things in this section.

How to set up a website, and how to set up a blog

How To Set Up A Website

First, sign onto your website's cpanel (http://www.yourdomain.com/cpanel)

In the list you will see many different icons. Click on the 'File Manager' one.

Click on the folder (not the text link) public_html

This is where all your website pages are stored. Everytime you want to make a page on your website, make sure to save it to this folder.

Now, we're going to discuss how to design your website. You may have some, a lot, or none html knowledge. If you have a lot, then you're on your way. If you have some or a lot read this story.

When I first started making websites on the internet, I had some html knowledge. So I thought to myself "Well, since I know how to write html code I might as well design and manage myself using the wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) html editor." I did this for 3 months, and I got so frustrated. I got so angry at manually going into each file, and editing it. Also, when I wanted to add a link to the navigation bar or make changes to the design I had to do it to each page seperately. I was just wasting a whole lot of unnecessary time. Then I was introduced to

XsitePro

When I started using it I knew this program would increase my productivity by at least 100%. It's so simple to use (by simple I don't mean not flexable, you can design and tweak your website). Also, XsitePro uses ftp which means that you can upload your site from the software right to your website in the click of a button. No messing around with files. I also find that I now have motivation to write. I have motivation to keep building my website and blogs. When I was doing everything manually I was starting to loose a lot of motivation. I knew I had to find something or else everything would just start going down hill (well it was). XsitePro has drastically helped me out.

How To Set Up A Blog

Setting up a blog is so much easier with Cpanel.

First, log into your cpanel account (if you don't know how to there's instructions in the how to set up a website section). Now scroll down to the bottom of the page, and you will see a button that's named 'Fantastico'. Click on that, and you will see a section that says blogs. There will be many to choose from. Personally, I chose Wordpress. It's the most popular, lots of templates, it's easy to use, and the support is great.

Once you choose which one you want to use click on it, and to the right you will see a 'new installation' link. Click that, and you will be given instructions on how to do that rest.

That's all for today, we'll see you tomorrow for Day 3.

5 comments:

Brett Carroll said...

Hi' I have never used a wordpress blog before mainly because i didnt know anything about them but i might give them a try now that i am reading your course.
build your list

hallsarah204@gmail.com said...

Frankly speaking, I couldn't stop reading this incredibly amusing article containing many useful ideas and essential tips! All this is good for my entire essay writing process. Consequently,I'm excited to get in touch with you!

Unknown said...

hey guys if have to recover your saved data then you can do it easily by synchronizing settings in windows 10 operating system.

sherin said...

Very exciting post
thanks a lot
pro ana weight loss

summaorublogger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.